Crunchy and spicy on the outside but tender and delicious on the inside…
Happy Sunday everyone! I am so relieved that the sun is out and that summer is just around the corner. I cannot tell you how stressful shooting in the winter months has been. Between limited hours of sunlight and working a full time job I have had to squash all my testing, cooking, shooting and blogging all on the weekend. But now thanks to the longer days (and more sunshine) I can start to bake/cook during the weeks too!
Chicken is without a doubt my favourite meat – it’s so easy to cook, there is so much to do with it – I just love chicken ok! I wanted to make something that was easy, picnic friendly and takes less than no time to prepare. Todays recipe definitely ticks all the boxes, yes I’m talking about my crunchy cayenne chicken strips – not fried but baked. The cayenne pepper seasoning adds just that little bit of heat with a delicious crispy coating of cornflakes. Yes..you heard right cornflakes.
I started by preparing the coating, for this I used roughly three cups of cornflakes mixed with a bag of pretzels. Unfortunately I don’t have a food processor so I put these in a zip lock bag and grounded them until they were fine. I cannot stress just how good these chicken strips taste with a cornflake coating but it is definitely worth giving these a try. To go alongside the chicken I made a garlic herb sauce – which takes less than 5 mins to make in a blender. I recommend making these while the chicken is baking in the oven.
- 1/2 pounds of skinless chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose seasoning
- 3 cups of cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 cup of pretzels
For garlic sauce
- 4 pieces of garlic
- 1/4 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- handful of crushed chillies
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6
- In a food processor or in a sealed bag mix your pretzels and cornflakes and mash until fine.
- Prepare 3 separate bowls; the first bowl should include flour with salt, pepper and everyday seasoning. The second bowl should include 2 beaten eggs and the third bowl should have the finely grounded cornflakes/pretzels with cayenne pepper (mixed well).
- Prepare your chicken strips and coat first in flour combo, then dip into eggs mixture and lastly coat well in cornflakes. It takes a while to get into a rhythm, I find it easier using just one hand to all the coating and the other to pop each chicken onto a baking tray.
- Once you have prepared a baking tray with some grease proof paper – add all your chicken strips on there and bake for 35 minutes, turning chicken over every 10 minutes. I baked mine for 45 minutes as I like my chicken really well done and quite crunchy. But 35 minute should ensure they have cooked through and are still tender inside.
- While chicken is baking crush 4 pieces of garlic and add to a blender along with sour cream, mayonnaise and crushed chilli.
- Let the chicken cool for 10 minutes and serve with garlic herb sauce.
P.S: Be sure to expect more summery, picnic and barbecue inspired recipes in the near future! And be sure to add the #confessionsofatwentysomething if you try out this recipe.