Happy Sunday guys! Todays recipe is perfect for anyone in need of inspiration for a last minute Mother’s Day Treat. I made this lovely rich super easy chocolate orange cake for my mum and it is that good (as I’m sure you can tell by the pictures) that I thought I would share the recipe with you all. Normally I love making a good fudge chocolate cake but wanted to make something a bit more special, you know seeing as it’s a special day and all. I’m sure it’s no surprise to you that chocolate and oranges compliment each other really well – which is why this is becoming one of my favourite cake recipes. As always this is a very simple bake so it shouldn’t take you longer than 20 mins to prep. So lets get started!
- 200g Butter
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Essence
- 50g Dark Chocolate
- 100g Coco Powder
- 200g Self-raising Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- Zest of 3 Oranges
- 200ml Double Cream
- 150g Dark Chocolate
- Zest of 1 Orange (for finish)
- Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
- Mix together both butter and sugar in a bowl until creamy.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave and once cooled add it to the cake mix.
- Now sift all the dry ingredients into the cake mix.
- Add the orange zest and fold in carefully.
- Add a drop of Vanilla Essence and a dash of nutmeg and mix.
- Add to a cake tin (making sure to grease beforehand) and bake for 35 mins or until knife comes out clean.
- While cake is cooling, mix together double cream and melted chocolate in a pot.
- Stir until the chocolate and cream are fully incorporated.
- Leave in the fridge to set for 1 hour or until thick.
- Icing the cake with the cream mixture and grater the zest of 1 orange to finish.